The Pink Ribbon Support Group, a breast cancer support group, received the key to their center at Taman D’Heritage 2, Bandar Baru Samariang on 12rd February 2019.
Assistant Minister of Law, State-Federal Relations and Project Monitoring, YB Sharifah Hasidah Sayeed Aman Ghazali praised the group members for their tireless efforts to realise their dream of having their own center after 6 years of hard work and commitment.
Pink Ribbon was formed in 2012. Their current registered membership stands at 250 who come from different ethnic and religious background. Members are mainly breast cancer survivors, whilst health professionals like doctors, nurses and physiotherapists make up the rest. Their objectives are:
- to provide an avenue for hope, emotional, physical and psychological support through peer support sessions, home visits, hospital visits, provision of breast prostheses and mastectomy bra at no cost (free of charge) and the loan of wigs;
- to prepare patient pre and post operation through sharing sessions;
- to raise breast cancer awareness on the importance of early detection and seeking treatment as early as possible to reduce the mortality rate;
- to provide a platform for retired medical personnel who wish to continue contributing their expertise to the community; and
- to help in the formation of support group throughout Sarawak.
The center will be used by Pink Ribbon for:
- Breast cancer awareness, which includes talks, demonstration of breast self-examination and checking.
- Organising seminars and workshop for the members such as making of breast prostheses and mastectomy bra, train-the-trainers / public speaking, lymphatic drainage to reduce the lymphedema, grooming to improve self-image and enhance self-esteem.
- Peer support session where the members share their personal experiences / problems / knowledge.
- Annual festive gatherings.
- Producing and distributing of breast prostheses and mastectomy bra to various general hospitals and individual survivors.
- Yearly AGMs
- Fund rising projects and yearly launching of breast cancer month
- Flower arrangement and cooking sessions.